A student must have a combined average of 75% and completed no less than 270 clock hours (of the 300 clock hour program) to pass the course and receive a diploma from OSHS. A progressive grading system, using weekly scores and a three-part final examination, which includes written, forge, and shoeing tests, determines the final grades. A student must be here the last day of a class to receive a diploma.
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE, PROBATION AND TERMINATION
To ensure the quality of instruction to students, the following attendance and probation policies have been established:
- Any student absent 3 or more unexcused days, with 3 tardies equaling 1 day, will be terminated. (When excess absences are excused, each student may re-enroll in a future class session to finish the course. Make-up work will ONLY be allowed for excused absences.)
- Students not maintaining a passing grade after 3 weeks are placed on probation for the remainder of the course and terminated if work is not brought up to a 75% grade level upon completion.We will do everything in our power to help you, if you do not do written academic testing well we will give the test orally.
- Other causes for termination include excessive abuse of OSHS Policies including, but not limited to insubordination, alcohol or drug use, and/or serious misconduct.
- OSHS will not restart a student that is terminated for serious misconduct. OSHS students desiring re-admission after termination must meet the terms and policies set forth in the school enrollment agreement, catalog, and attachments. Previously paid tuitions will be credited to the student’s current account. All students requesting re-entry must have paid any outstanding tuition to the school. In considering maximum time for course completion after re-entry, the student must complete the units of instruction in not more than 1.5 times the standard period for completion of the same class instruction.
Consequences for failure to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards will result in a verbal meeting informing the student of the school’s decision whether or not the student will continue or be dismissed from the program. The student may appeal the decision verbally or by formal letter requesting re-entry in a later class. Reinstatement is decided by the Owner and Head Instructor.
If a student does not feel that the instructor or other school official has adequately addressed a complaint or concern, the student will then contact the School Director, Riley Mickelsen.
Students are graded on a 100% grading scale. A minimum passing grade of 75% is required on all examinations and assignments. A student scoring below this level will be tutored until a passing grade is attained. The school may dismiss a student who is unable to acquire the knowledge and skills required to become a competent horseshoer.
STUDENT CONDUCT POLICY
Students are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner at all times. Students are not allowed to have alcohol or drugs on school premises at any time. There is Zero-Tolerance. Male and female students are not allowed in the same sleeping quarters at any time. Visitors are not allowed in the dormitory facilities unless first authorized by school officials. Any student causing damage to school or personal property will be held liable. Excessive abuse of Oklahoma State Horseshoeing School policies including insubordination, serious misconduct, or use of alcohol or drugs, will be terminated and dismissed from school property immediately.
STUDENT TERMINATION DATE
The termination date for calculation of all refunds is the last day of actual attendance by the student. OSHS requires notice of cancellation to withdraw in writing. Failure to notify the school in writing will result in a $25 penalty (refund is reduced by $25). If the student is below the legal age of 18, a parent or guardian must notify OSHS in writing.
OSHS CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
- Rejection: An applicant rejected by OSHS will receive a refund of all monies paid.
- Three-day Cancellation: All monies paid by an applicant will be refunded if requested within 3 days after signing an enrollment agreement and making an initial payment.
- Subsequently: An applicant requesting cancellation after expiration of the Three-Day Cancellation period, but prior to entering OSHS will receive a refund of all monies paid minus a registration fee of 4% of the contract price of the program, not to exceed $150.
- Students who have not visited OSHS facilities prior to enrollment will have the opportunity to withdraw without penalty within 3 days following either the regularly scheduled orientation procedures or following a tour of OSHS facilities and inspection of equipment.
- First Week: For a student terminating training after entering classes at OSHS, after expiration of the Three-Day Cancellation period, and after starting the program, but within the first week, the student will be refunded 95% of the course, minus $150, not to exceed $350 total.
- After First Week: For a student terminating training after one week but within the first 25% of the program, the student will be refunded 75% of the tuition, minus $150.
- After 25%: For a student terminating training after completing over 25% but within 50% of the program, the student will be refunded 50% of the tuition, minus $150.
- After 50%: Students, who complete more than 50% of the program, will not receive a refund.
- Special Cases: In cases of prolonged illness, accident or other circumstances that make it impractical to complete the program, OSHS will make a settlement, which is reasonable and fair to the student and the school.
- Other Cancellation: There will be No Refund on all material items of extra expense, such as books, tools, and major supplies that are not included in the cost of tuition. These items become the property of the student upon purchase and acceptance. They are not subject to REFUND.
- School Cancellation: If for any reason the course is cancelled by the institution, any student enrolled will be refunded 100% of all monies paid.